Today, books are familiar sights in homes and classrooms around the world. Books may be sheets of paper, called leaves, hinged together on one side, or they may be electronic representations of the same material. Electronic books, called ebooks, can be read on computers, tablets, phones, and dedicated e-readers.
Books as we know them have not always been around, however. In early history, tablets were used to record information. A tablet was a piece of stone or clay on which words were carved. Some tablets were made in the shape of cylinders. Later, scrolls, or long sheets of paper rolled around a spindle, were used. By the end of the first century C.E., the book had taken its familiar form, then called a codex.
For many thousands of years, books were rare and expensive, as they had to be written and drawn by hand. In 1450, German inventor Johannes Gutenberg developed the first printing press with movable type. From that time, books became more affordable and available.
What books have the most copies in print? The Bible has over 5 billion copies in circulation, nearly one for every person on earth; billions of copies have also been made of the political work Quotations from Chairman Mao. Don Quixote, written in 1605, has sold 500 million copies; A Tale of Two Cities, 1859, 200 million copies; and Lord of the Rings, 1954, 150 million copies.
In this simple, step-by-step drawing tutorial, you will learn to draw a three dimensional book. Will this book be your math book, your journal, or your favorite story? The choice is yours.
All you will need to complete this drawing is a pencil, a sheet of paper, and a good eraser. You may also wish to use crayons, colored pencils, markers, or paints to shade your finished drawing.
In each step, you will see a detailed illustration along with explanatory text. Pay special attention to the light blue lines, as these indicate new lines to be added. Now, hit the books and start drawing!
1. Begin by drawing a straight, diagonal line. This will become the spine of the book.
2. From the lower end of the first line, extend a second straight line. This forms the bottom edge of the book.
3. From the top of the original line, extend a third straight line. This will form the top edge of the book.
4. Enclose the shape with a straight line. You now have a rhombus, a shape similar to a diamond. This shape will form the front cover of your book.
5. Draw a short, curved line shaped like the letter "C" at three of the book's corners. These lines form the edges of the pages.
6. Connect each set of "C" shaped lines using a long, straight line. You now have the basic three dimensional outline of the book.
7. Add detail to the cover of your book. Using two straight lines, draw a backwards letter "L" parallel to the bottom and edge of the cover. Draw another straight line along the spine, from the top of the cover to the "L" shaped line. Then, draw two straight, parallel lines across the cover of the book, in the area that the title would be printed.
8. Add texture to the book's pages. Along the bottom of side of the book, draw several straight, parallel lines between the "C" shaped lines.
9. Give the book a back cover. Enclose a narrow space along the bottom of the spine and bottom of the pages using a short, curved line and several long, straight lines.
10. Color your book. Be creative!
Have you ever wanted to be able to draw a beautiful rose? This easy step-by-step drawing tutorial outlines the steps necessary to draw a cartoon style rose, complete with leaflets.
This project has a lot of details, but you can complete it easily by carefully following the instructions below.
In each step, previously drawn lines are black and the new lines added to the sketch are blue in color.
You won't need any special tools to complete this sketch. Follow this simple guide using any type of paper, as well as a pencil, pen, marker, or other writing tool. If you'd like, you can color your finished product.
Would you like to draw a beautiful flower? Doing so is simple with this drawing tutorial. By following the step-by-step instructions in this drawing guide, you will soon be able to sketch your own rose, complete with leaves and a stem.
You will not need any special tools to create this drawing, only paper and a writing implement - a pencil, a pen, or a marker.
Sketch lightly at first, as you will be erasing some of your lines as you go along.
There are many details in this drawing, but the illustrations below show you each step. In each image, the blue line is a new addition to the drawing.
According to the Encyclopaedia Britannica , the cross is "the principal symbol of the Christian religion." Millions of people wear a cross on a necklace or employ the cross in body art or to decorate their homes, vehicles, or clothing.
The cross as a symbol has a long history spanning numerous non-Christian religions. Simple X or + marks are found in prehistoric cave drawings. In ancient Egypt, the cross-like ankh or crux ansata - translated "cross with a handle - was often depicted in the hand of the pharaoh or of various deities. It was used both as a fertility symbol and to represent life. W. E. Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words also notes that the cross or t was used as a symbol for the Chaldean god Tammuz.
For 300 years after the founding of Christianity, there is no historical evidence of the use of this symbol in worship. It came into popularity when promoted by Roman Emperor Constantine, between 306 and 337 A.D. Throughout the Middle Ages in Europe, the cross was used as a religious symbol. The design, for example, adorned the shields of knights and crusaders. The cross also appears in much of the religious artwork from the sixth century onward, appearing in paintings, on the cover and pages of religious texts, and in architecture, especially of churches.
Would you like to draw your own cross? The stylized cross in this easy, step-by-step drawing tutorial features a rose wound about it.
All you will need is a pencil, a piece of paper, and an eraser. Note that in each step, new lines are highlighted in blue, while lines drawn in previous steps are shown in black. At times, you will need to erase lines in order to complete the step. You may also wish to use colored pencils, crayons, markers, or paints to shade your finished drawing.